Through the Family Engagement Impact Project (FEIP), James Bell Associates was contracted through the Education Program at the Heising-Simons Foundation to develop a series of tips and resources for funders, practitioners, and policy makers to better coordinate family engagement efforts across organizations. The project supported multiple collaborations between school districts, community organizations, and early childhood providers.
The FEIP goal was to develop methods to improve the ways communities, professionals, and parents engage in children’s learning, and to promote positive educational outcomes for low-income immigrant children from birth through age 8. The initiative took place in two California counties, San Mateo and Santa Clara.
FEIP engaged Mathematica Policy Research, Inc. to evaluate the implementation phase of the project. JBA drew from the evaluation findings to develop a series of six briefs for parents and educators. To view each brief, click on the title.
1. The Family Engagement Impact Project (FEIP): Overview. A visual representation of the goals, strategies, and outcomes of the initiative.
2. Building Capacity for Family Engagement. Read how grantee partnerships that were part of FEIP built the capacity of families, professionals, and organizations to work together and bolster educational outcomes for young children.
3. Evaluating Family Engagement. Discover key steps used to evaluate FEIP and glean insights into methods and instruments that can be used to assess family engagement services and outcomes.
4. Implementing Raising A Reader Plus. Learn about the successes and challenges of FEIP grantee partnerships in implementing Raising A Reader Plus, an early literacy and parent engagement program that helps improve reading skills of children birth through age 8.
5. Supporting Teachers to Engage Parents. Read five important lessons learned about building teachers’ knowledge, skills, and confidence to engage families.
6. Building Community Partnership in Support of Family Engagement. Take a look at 10 tips for community partnerships seeking to coordinate a family engagement initiative.