This multi-site cooperative research project marked the first federal effort to examine integrated treatment for patients living with HIV/AIDS and co-occurring mental and substance use disorders.
As the coordinating center for the study, JBA designed and managed data collection and analysis across eight universities, research institutions, and hospitals.
Data were collected over a 15-month period from more than 1,000 primarily minority participants with HIV/AIDS and co-occurring disorders, including critical measures that were not previously well studied for this population:
- Baseline physical and mental health status
- Prevalence of complex comorbidities
- Changes in adherence to HIV medications
- Medication adherence support
- Utilization of HIV primary care and behavioral health services
The study resulted in a rich public-use database.
James Bell, M.A.
Founder and President
James Bell has 40 years of experience designing and directing national program evaluations. He started JBA in 1979 to help programs better serve children...