Observing home visits can help programs evaluate the content and quality of home visiting activities, providers’ relationships with clients, and levels of family engagement.
This brief outlines seven observational measurement instruments that could be useful for awardees of the Maternal, Infant, and Early Childhood Home Visiting Program (MIECHV) and others in home visiting:
- Home Visit Rating Scales (HOVRS)
- Home Visit Rating Scales – Adapted (HOVRS-A)
- Home Visit Characteristics and Content Form
- Home Visit Observation Form (HVOF)
- Home Visit Assessment Instrument
- Supportive Interactions with Families: A Self Rating Scale
It also reviews considerations when selecting an instrument, such as the purpose of the observation and available resources.