This presentation introduces process maps—visual diagrams or pictures of the steps involved in completing a task.
Process maps facilitate quality improvement. They show how a process is implemented, identify improvement opportunities, and highlight steps that may impact performance. A process map may reveal—
- Unexpected or unnecessary complexity
- Problem areas such as delays
- Gaps between the ideal and actual process
- Opportunities for simplification or standardization
- Contributions to the process by specific roles or individuals
The presentation illustrates how programs can use process maps as a tool for quality improvement.