Many tribal communities in Washington state face health provider shortages and service gaps. The Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board (NPAIHB) aims to alleviate the shortfall by creating pathways to education and licensure for community and behavioral health aides.
JBA developed a crosswalk comparing the proposed service scope of community and behavioral health aides with existing comparable medical and behavioral health providers currently serving tribal communities in Washington. This included—
- Reviewing background documents and resources
- Detailing each provider’s scope of practice under specified service categories
- Identifying unique aspects of the proposed community and behavioral health aide service scope
- Developing a final crosswalk and accompanying narrative
We also assessed the need for additional mid-level providers and services among tribal and urban Indian medical and behavioral health clinics in Washington. Tasks included—
- Carrying out a tiered, mixed-methods data collection strategy that entailed reviewing existing quantitative data and subsequently conducting key informant interviews with clinic administrators and project stakeholders
- Developing a report describing gaps in medical and behavioral health services in Washington tribal and urban Indian communities
- Collaborating with NPAIHB to present the report to stakeholders
Tess Abrahamson-Richards, M.P.H.
Tess Abrahamson-Richards has more than 8 years of experience in early childhood education and public health and public health. A member of the Spokane...
Erin Geary, Ph.D., M.S.W.
Senior Research Associate
Erin Geary has 11 years of experience in program evaluation, project management, and technical assistance. His skills include designing and...
Kate Lyon, M.A.
Kate Lyon has 12 years of experience in program evaluation, applied social science research, and evaluation technical assistance. Her content expertise...
Amanda Thomson, M.P.P.
Amanda Thomson has more than 6 years of experience in social science research. She is skilled in SPSS, GIS, ATLAS.ti, survey development, and qualitative...
- Joelle Ruben, M.S.W. Senior Communications Associate
- Yuan Wang, M.S. Senior Research Analyst