The Children’s Bureau awards federal grants to state, tribal, and local agencies to find ways to improve child safety, permanency, and well-being through demonstration projects.
The projects serve as learning laboratories for developing and testing innovative approaches to challenging child welfare service delivery problems. JBA supports the advance of evidence-based practices in child welfare by providing the grantees with evaluation technical assistance, including—
- Promoting the implementation of rigorous, practical evaluations
- Strengthening the quality of reports to highlight findings
- Advising on research and evaluation issues
- Creating and disseminating knowledge about research and evaluation methods
Since 1999, we have assisted more than 350 grantees working across 55 priority areas, such as—
- Community collaborations to strengthen and preserve families
- Strengthening child welfare systems
- Family support through primary prevention
- Addressing trafficking in the child welfare population
- Improving child welfare through investing in family
- Improving access to evidence-based mental and behavioral health services
- Demonstrating the effectiveness of supportive housing for families
The technical assistance provided is both proactive and responsive to individual grantee requests. It includes assessment of grantee needs, outreach, development of resources such as webinars and toolkits, use of collaborative online platforms, identification of common measures for cross-site evaluation, and transfer of knowledge to the Children’s Bureau and child welfare field. Technical assistance resources are developed to meet the needs of multiple priority areas and the child welfare field; recent examples include a video series and guide to data–driven decision making and evaluation briefs on research and evaluation topics.
Elliott Graham, Ph.D.
Elliott Graham has nearly 30 years of experience in program evaluation, applied social science research, and evaluation technical assistance. He currently...
Heidi Melz, Ph.D., M.S.
Senior Research Associate
Heidi Melz has 20 years of experience researching interventions that address child welfare issues and family structure, functioning, and well-being ...
Anne Fromknecht, M.P.H.
Senior Research Associate
Anne Fromknecht has more than 12 years of experience in applied social science, evaluation, and technical assistance. Her technical skills include project...
James P. DeSantis, Ph.D.
James P. DeSantis is a developmental psychologist with more than 30 years of experience in research, program design, evaluation, technical assistance, and project...
- Nicole M. Miller, M.S.W. Senior Research Associate
- Julie Murphy, M.S.W. Senior Research Associate
- Erin Morehouse, M.P.H. Research Associate
- Tammy Richards, M.Ed. Senior Research Associate
- Terrica Dang Research Assistant