Evaluation Technical Assistance for Title IV-E Waiver Demonstrations
Title IV-E waivers from the Children’s Bureau allowed states to test approaches to reforming child welfare services and systems and improving child safety, permanency, and well-being. JBA provided evaluation technical assistance to states with waivers for over two decades between 1998 and 2019.
During that time, JBA helped over 30 state child welfare agencies, along with the District of Columbia and one tribal agency, design and implement rigorous evaluations that measured the impact of the waiver demonstration projects on key child welfare outcomes. Technical assistance included—
- Supporting federal, regional, state, and tribal staff and evaluators in person and through conference calls and emails
- Identifying strengths and areas for improvement in evaluation designs, reports, and data analyses
- Providing consultation to states and tribes on evaluation planning and design during the waiver application and approval process
- Developing products and conducting activities related to evaluation feasibility studies, cost studies, and promotion of rigorous evaluations
- Drafting the terms and conditions for agreements governing the waivers
Elliott Graham, Ph.D.
Elliott Graham has nearly 30 years of experience in program evaluation, applied social science research, and evaluation technical assistance. He currently...
Nicole M. Miller, M.S.W.
Senior Research Associate
Nicole Miller has more than 20 years of experience in child and family services, focused primarily on child welfare and protection and child and adolescent...
Kirsten Keene, M.A.
Kirsten Keene has more than 10 years of experience in applied social science research and program evaluation. Her research skills include qualitative...
Kathy Kopiec, M.S.W., M.A.
Kathy Kopiec has 20 years of experience in program evaluation and applied social science research with substantive knowledge in mental health services and...
- Chi Connie Park, Ph.D., M.A. Senior Research Associate
- James P. DeSantis, Ph.D. Vice President