Expectant women who have low incomes or struggle to afford health insurance are at risk for poor health outcomes—for themselves and their babies.
The Mother and Infant Home Visiting Program Evaluation (MIHOPE)–Strong Start examined the effectiveness of two evidence-based home visiting models (Healthy Families America and Nurse-Family Partnership) in improving outcomes among women and infants enrolled in Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program.
Key research questions included—
- What is the impact on birth outcomes, maternal and infant health, and health care use for local home visiting programs that use these models?
- How do impacts vary for key subgroups, such as smokers and young mothers?
- What is the impact on Strong Start outcomes?
- How do programs using these models achieve their results?
JBA contributed to the design of this large random assignment study and led the analysis of service delivery data from local, state, and national systems. Support for data collection included instrument testing, site recruitment and selection, and training. We also conducted and analyzed interviews with state home visiting agencies and partners and contributed to reports and briefings on the study findings for federal staff and other stakeholders.
Jill Filene, M.P.H.
Executive Vice President
Jill Filene has more than 15 years of experience in applied research, program evaluation, and technical assistance. Her areas of expertise include home...
Melanie Estarziau, M.P.H.
Senior Research Associate
Melanie Estarziau has more than 14 years of experience in applied social, public health, and health services research, primarily in the areas of home visiting...
Alexandra Joraanstad, M.S.
Alexandra Joraanstad has 8 years of experience conducting social services evaluation research, with a focus on programs serving parents and children from...
Yuan Wang, M.S.
Yuan Wang has more than 11 years of experience in applied statistical research, capacity building technical assistance, qualitative research, complex survey...
- Patrice Cachat, M.S.W. Research Associate
- Mariel Sparr, Ph.D., M.A. Senior Research Associate
- Grace Atukpawu-Tipton, Ph.D., M.S.W. Senior Research Associate
- Kassandra Miller, M.P.H. Research Associate
- Julie Leis, Ph.D. Senior Research Associate
MDRC, Mathematica Policy Research, Johns Hopkins University