HealthySteps is an evidence-based program that supports healthy early childhood development, effective parenting, and school readiness. It helps pediatric primary care meet the needs of families with young children.
JBA previously conducted an implementation and outcome study of HealthySteps. The implementation study used quantitative and qualitative methods to understand 65 HealthySteps sites across the country and the families they served, determine how closely the sites followed the program design, and identify any enhancements the sites made. The outcome study examined variation in data collection and assessment of key measures at a subset of sites. ZERO TO THREE used the findings, along with other information and reviews of service delivery best practices, to update the HealthySteps model.
Building on that work, we are assisting with the development of indicators and tools related to HealthySteps implementation. We are also assessing fidelity and progress toward outputs and outcomes at three outcome pilot sites. The project includes—
- Establishing fidelity metrics and performance indicators to monitor site fidelity and performance
- Developing an implementation guide for consistent, effective model delivery
- Assessing implementation fidelity at the pilot sites and developing a plan to bring the sites to fidelity
- Assessing the ability of the pilot sites to demonstrate key outputs and outcomes to build the evidence base
- Developing a survey to determine sites’ experience with and engagement in continuous quality improvement projects
The project aims to set clear standards for effective model delivery and to build additional evidence of outcomes to promote growth, increase the visibility of the HealthySteps model, and inform a rigorous outcome evaluation.
Lance Till, M.S.
Senior Research Associate
Lance Till has more than 14 years of experience working in evaluation, program planning, and early childhood systems of care. He brings to JBA expertise...
Colleen Morrison, Ph.D.
Colleen Morrison has more than 9 years of experience in program evaluation and applied developmental research. Her areas of expertise include early...
Mallory Quigley Clark, M.P.H.
Mallory Quigley Clark has 8 years of experience planning, implementing, and evaluating maternal and child health programs. She has worked on numerous...
Jill Filene, M.P.H.
Executive Vice President
Jill Filene has more than 15 years of experience in applied research, program evaluation, and technical assistance. Her areas of expertise include home...
- Julie Leis, Ph.D. Senior Research Associate